Call For Art >
CALL FOR ENTRIES: Cover Guide Competition - Apr 27
CALL FOR ENTRIES: Cover Guide Competition - Apr 27
Apr 19, 2014 --
Call for Entries: Resilience
The 2014 SF Open Studios Campaign & Guide Cover
ArtSpan is holding an open call for artwork submissions inspired by the theme of Resilience.
Being an artist in San Francisco takes creativity, business savvy, strength, and, above all, resilience. Explore the meaning of and your broad interpretation of Resilience in the face of change, growth, evolution, and the transforming landscape and creative space of San Francisco.
The winning artwork will be used for the 2014 SF Open Studios Campaign, including cover artwork for the Guide (a full-color, 172-page catalog with 15,000 print run), as well as promotional advertising in various publications, outdoor advertising, print and online broadcasts, and other promotional vehicles.
ABOUT SF OPEN STUDIOS:
SF Open Studios is a salute to the artists who make up the cultural wealth of our city and give us credence as one of the most creative places in the world. The 39 year old city-wide art celebration includes over 800 artists who open their studios each October and November. Each weekend, participating artists in their designated portion of San Francisco welcome the public into their homes and work spaces to share their artwork and engage in dialogue. The SF Open Studios Guide is the travel companion for each weekend of the event, featuring artwork examples from each artist, maps, and articles. Learn more about SF Open Studios and the 2014 schedule of events: http://artspan.org/sfopenstudios ABOUT ARTSPAN:
ArtSpan, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, builds community by connecting the public to visual arts in San Francisco. Through SF Open Studios, youth and adult education, and art-centric events, ArtSpan creates a platform for artists to thrive, fostering a Bay Area that values the arts. Learn more at: http://artspan.org
• Open to ArtSpan Members and 2013 SF Open Studios Artists (who intend on participating in SF Open Studios in 2014)
• If you did not participate in SF Open Studios 2013 and you are not a current ArtSpan Member, click here to become an ArtSpan Basic Artist Member ($30) to be eligible to submit your artwork: http://artspanmembership.eventbrite.com
• All entries must be original and executed within the past 3 years.
• Collaborations are accepted.
• Work must not have been used for print material purposes (other than to promote the work of artist).
• If selected, the Guide cover winner and the finalists must participate in SF Open Studios 2014 (see below for registration fee details in Awards section)
• If selected, the Guide cover winning artwork must be available for viewing during the SF Open Studios Exhibition in October-November 2014 at SOMArts Cultural Center.
• Entries are being accepted in painting, drawing, printmaking, photography, sculpture, mixed media, and assemblage.
• One entry per artist.
• Artist statement of originality – 300 words or less describing what inspired the piece.
• Art must be submitted in vertical orientation (6" wide X 10.875" tall is the final size of Guide).
• Artwork that is wider than it is tall will not be eligible due to restrictions of artwork use; however, you are welcome to crop the image of your artwork so that it appears vertically.
• All image files for the initial entry should be submitted in JPEG format. Maximum 5mb for upload.
• All image files must be titled with artist’s last name, first initial, and the entry’s title. This information must match the title and name on the entry form.
• If chosen, artist must provide a high resolution image appropriate for print: 300 dpi image at least 8 inches wide in CMYK. Additional photography may be ordered by ArtSpan to meet print quality standards.
• The winning submission for the Guide cover will be awarded $500 in cash and prizes.
• Finalists and Guide Cover winner will be awarded 50% off their 2014 SF Open Studios registration.
• Finalists and Guide Cover winner will be featured in the Guide and in our online promotional materials.
• Artwork of selected finalists may be used inside the Guide as weekend dividers with the discretion of the editorial team. IMPORTANT DATES:
Entry Deadline: Sunday, April 27, 2014 at midnight
Cover Winner & Finalist Notification: Tuesday, May 6, 2014 Guide Release: mid-September 2014
Contact info(at)artspan.org with any questions.
RELEASE OF ARTWORK
By submitting/signing this form, I, the artist whose name is listed above, hereby grant ArtSpan & SF Open Studios 2014 and the board, contractors and assigns, an unlimited, non-exclusive and irrevocable license the right to use and display my name, photograph(s) and corresponding caption(s) (“Artwork”) in all forms and media and in all manners and to make and distribute, and authorize the making, display and distribution of, reproductions for the ARTSPAN SF OPEN STUDIOS 2014 GUIDE and promotions as well as for any other ArtSpan purpose, including promotional materials. I acknowledge that a digital version of the Artwork will be used for said purpose.
I also acknowledge that if the ArtSpan and panel of jurors selects my Artwork for publication, ArtSpan may modify, crop or edit the Artwork, including any written material, in its sole discretion. Shall my Artwork be chosen for the cover competition, I will make Artwork available for additional digital photography for use in the organization’s promotional purpose for the 2014 Guide and all promotional materials.
I hereby warrant that I created the Artwork submitted and own all rights to the Artwork. I agree to indemnify and hold ARTSPAN harmless from any losses and liabilities (including attorney’s fees) for any copyright infringement or any other claims arising out ARTSPAN’s selection or use of my Artwork. I agree that I will not make any claims against the organization arising out of its use of my Artwork and that I am not entitled to any compensation for the use of my name or Artwork. I waive my right to inspect or approve ArtSpan publications or reproductions of my Artwork, including any written material that may be created in connection therewith.
I am at least 18 years old. I have read this release and am fully familiar with its contents.