Juried Annual 2012
Selections by Hamza Walker
Director of Education and Associate Curator, Renaissance Society at The University of Chicago
Exhibition Dates: November 22, 2011 - January 13, 2012
Entry Deadline: Friday, October 21, 2011
IF ANY OF THE LINKS DO NOT BELOW, PLEASE VIEW THE ORIGINAL ONLINE PROSPECTUS:
ABOUT JURIED ANNUAL:
The critically acclaimed Juried Annual is an exhibition that presents a survey of the best new work in the Bay Area selected by a Juror from the international arts community.
ABOUT THE JUROR:
Hamza Walker is the Director of Education and Associate Curator for the Renaissance Society at the University of Chicago. He is also on the faculty of The School of the Art Institute of Chicago. He has written for numerous monographs, and magazines including Parkett and Artforum. Recent group exhibitions he has curated include "The Age of Aquarius" (2011), "Several Silences" (2009); "Black Is, Black Ain't" (2008); and "Meanwhile, in Baghdad..." (2007). Walker received the 1999 Norton Curatorial Grant, the 2004 Walter Hopps Award, and the 2010 Ordway Prize.
Participation is open to artists who reside/work within the Greater Bay Area.
Pro Arts offers artists working in a broad range of media the opportunity to submit work in the following formats: Painting, Works on paper, Photography, Sculpture, Textiles, Glass, Mixed Media, and Installation will be accepted in .jpg format digital images (800 x 600 pixels, 72 dpi, RGB color mode). Images that are not formatted to meet the criteria may not be accepted. Internet-based artwork will be considered via the submission of website URLs online only. Video, Sound-based Installation, Conceptual performance and Computer-based new media will be accepted on DVDs delivered to the gallery. Artists must register online, and include a print out of their registration confirmation. All DVDs must be labeled with artist's name, title of each work and complete running times. Video and sound installation should be submitted with both excerpted and full length versions. Excerpted versions should not exceed 3 minutes. All files should be saved with the title of the work. Multiple submissions may be submitted on one disk. Materials submitted will not be returned. Artists wishing to submit work that falls outside of the guidelines should send a brief email (NO IMAGES OR ATTACHMENTS) to email@example.com and note "Juried Annual" in the subject line.
1. Entry does not guarantee inclusion in the exhibition.
2. Selected works must be dropped off at Pro Arts during scheduled drop off dates and must include any specialized hardware necessary for installation. Artist agrees that all work performed with Pro Arts will be performed with the care and skill ordinarily exercised by members of the profession practicing under similar conditions at a similar locality.
3. Pro Arts shall insure selected artwork for loss or damage until repossession by the artist. Pro Arts limits liability for damage from handling, installation, exhibition and de- installation.
4. Sales of work in the exhibition are encouraged. Artists receive 60% of the retail price for all work sold.
5. If artwork is damaged or unsuitable for display, it will be removed from the exhibition.
6. Artworks exhibited at Pro Arts are covered by Creative Commons license "Attribution, Non-Commercial, No Derivatives". Gallery visitors may take photographs of artworks with the stipulation that images are clearly credited to the creating artist and exhibition at Pro Arts; images may not be used commercially; and may not be changed, remixed, or modified in any way. Artist agrees to allow Pro Arts to photograph and reproduce images of artworks for publicity and educational purposes.
7. All unsold artworks must be picked up by last day of de-installation. Anyone claiming artworks on behalf of the artist must make special arrangements with the gallery.
8. Late pick up policy: Pro Arts is not equipped to store unclaimed artworks. Artworks not picked up by last day of de-installation accrue a $10 penalty per day for a maximum of 5 business days. After 5 business days all unclaimed artworks are considered abandoned and may be sold to recoup penalties or donated to community partners.
SUBMISSION & FEES:
$25 basic entry fee + any additional submission fees + applicable membership. Basic entry fee is $25 and includes up to 3 image submissions, additional submissions are $5 each. Eight (8) submission max per artist. No refunds.
Pro Arts offers volunteer waivers for current members only. Please fill out the Pro Arts Volunteer Intake Form and send it to Pro Arts no later than Friday, October 7, 2011.
Selected artists will be notified by November 8, 2011.
ARTWORK DROP OFF & PICK UP:
Selected artworks must be delivered to Pro Arts November 11 - November 12 during gallery hours and must be picked up from Pro Arts January 14 or January 17, 2012 during gallery hours.